If you are a fan of chicken Parmesan and crave the tangy flavors of orange chicken, then this orange chicken Parmesan recipe is a must-try. Imagine tender chicken breasts coated in a crispy breadcrumb crust, smothered in zesty orange sauce, and topped with a layer of melted mozzarella cheese. This fusion of Italian and Asian cuisines will tantalize your taste buds and leave you craving for more. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or simply want to elevate your weeknight dinner, this recipe is sure to impress everyone.
The Perfect Blend of Flavors
Orange chicken Parmesan brings together the classic elements of a traditional chicken Parmesan dish with a burst of citrusy orange flavors. The combination may seem unconventional at first, but the sweet and tangy orange sauce complements the savory chicken and cheese in a way that will leave you wanting seconds. The contrast of flavors strikes the perfect balance and creates a unique culinary experience.
Before we dive into the step-by-step instructions, let’s gather all the ingredients you’ll need for this mouthwatering orange chicken Parmesan:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Preparing the Chicken
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts by slicing them in half horizontally, creating two thin chicken cutlets from each breast.
- In three separate shallow bowls, set up your breading station. Fill the first bowl with flour, the second bowl with beaten eggs, and the third bowl with a mixture of breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and pepper.
- Dip each chicken cutlet into the flour, making sure to coat it evenly. Shake off any excess flour.
- Next, dip the cutlet into the beaten eggs, allowing any excess to drip off.
- Finally, coat the chicken cutlet in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing gently to adhere the crumbs to the surface. Repeat with all the chicken cutlets.
- Arrange the breaded chicken cutlets on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
Preparing the Orange Sauce
- In a saucepan, combine the orange juice, honey, and soy sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water to create a slurry.
- Slowly pour the slurry into the saucepan, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
Assembling and Serving
Now that you have your perfectly cooked chicken cutlets and tangy orange sauce, it’s time to bring them together:
- Preheat your broiler on high.
- Place each chicken cutlet on a baking sheet and spoon a generous amount of the orange sauce over the top, ensuring it covers the entire surface.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese over the sauce, creating a generous layer.
- Place the baking sheet under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Once done, remove from the broiler and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve your orange chicken Parmesan hot, alongside your favorite pasta or a fresh salad.
Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
While the recipe calls for chicken breasts, you can certainly use chicken thighs for a slightly different texture and flavor. Keep in mind that chicken thighs may require a longer cooking time to ensure they are cooked through.
Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, you can easily make this orange chicken Parmesan recipe gluten-free by substituting the all-purpose flour and breadcrumbs with gluten-free alternatives. Make sure to check that all the ingredients you use are certified gluten-free.
Can I prepare the chicken in advance?
If you want to save time on the day you plan to serve this dish, you can bread the chicken cutlets in advance and refrigerate them. When you’re ready to cook, simply follow the baking instructions provided in the recipe. The orange sauce can also be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
Orange chicken Parmesan is a delicious fusion of flavors that will revolutionize your usual dinner routine. This recipe combines the comforting elements of chicken Parmesan with the vibrant flavors of orange chicken, resulting in a dish that is both familiar and exciting. Give it a try and prepare to be amazed by the explosion of flavors in every bite.
- Orange chicken Parmesan combines the flavors of Italian chicken Parmesan with tangy orange sauce.
- The recipe requires boneless, skinless chicken breasts, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and orange juice.
- Preheat the oven, bread the chicken cutlets, and bake until golden brown.
- Prepare the orange sauce by boiling a mixture of orange juice, honey, and soy sauce.
- Thicken the sauce with a cornstarch slurry and remove from heat.
- Top the baked chicken cutlets with the orange sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve hot.
- You can customize the recipe by using chicken thighs or making it gluten-free.
- Prepare the chicken and orange sauce in advance for quicker meal preparation.