Hello, Good News! If you’re looking for a delicious and easy way to enjoy brussel sprouts, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll show you how to make saltgrass brussel sprouts recipe at home, with simple ingredients and steps. You’ll also learn some tips and tricks to make your brussel sprouts even more flavorful and crispy.
Saltgrass brussel sprouts are a popular side dish at Saltgrass Steak House, an American restaurant chain that specializes in steaks and other grilled dishes. Saltgrass brussel sprouts are roasted with bacon, onion, and seasonings, creating a smoky and savory flavor that complements any meal. They’re also low in calories, high in fiber, and rich in vitamin C and K, making them a healthy and satisfying choice.
What You Need to Make Saltgrass Brussel Sprouts Recipe
To make saltgrass brussel sprouts recipe at home, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 pounds of fresh brussel sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 cup of diced red onion
You’ll also need the following equipment to make saltgrass brussel sprouts recipe at home:
- A large baking sheet
- A large skillet or wok
- A cutting board and a sharp knife
- A large bowl and a spatula
- An oven and a stove
How to Make Saltgrass Brussel Sprouts Recipe at Home
Step 1: Preheat the Oven and Prepare the Brussel Sprouts
The first step to make saltgrass brussel sprouts recipe at home is to preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or spray it with cooking spray. Then, wash the brussel sprouts under cold water and pat them dry with paper towels. Remove any loose or discolored leaves and cut off the stem end. Cut the brussel sprouts in half lengthwise and place them in a large bowl.
Step 2: Cook the Bacon and Onion
The next step to make saltgrass brussel sprouts recipe at home is to cook the bacon and onion. In a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain the excess grease. Reserve about 2 tablespoons of bacon fat in the skillet and discard the rest. Add the onion to the same skillet and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
Step 3: Toss the Brussel Sprouts with Oil and Seasonings
The third step to make saltgrass brussel sprouts recipe at home is to toss the brussel sprouts with oil and seasonings. In the same large bowl where you placed the brussel sprouts, add the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss well to coat all the brussel sprouts evenly. Spread them on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer, cut side down.
Step 4: Roast the Brussel Sprouts
The fourth step to make saltgrass brussel sprouts recipe at home is to roast the brussel sprouts. Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and roast for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and tender. Flip them halfway through for even browning.
Step 5: Combine Everything Together
The final step to make saltgrass brussel sprouts recipe at home is to combine everything together. Transfer the roasted brussel sprouts to a large serving platter or bowl. Sprinkle the cooked bacon and onion over them and toss gently to combine. Enjoy your homemade saltgrass brussel sprouts as a side dish or a main course.
Saltgrass Brussel Sprouts Recipe Nutrition Facts
If you’re wondering how healthy saltgrass brussel sprouts recipe is, here’s a breakdown of its nutrition facts per serving (1/6 of the recipe):
|Nutrient||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Saturated Fat||4.5 g||23%|
As you can see, saltgrass brussel sprouts recipe is a low-calorie, high-fiber, and moderate-protein dish that provides a good amount of vitamin C and K, as well as some iron and calcium. However, it is also high in fat, especially saturated fat, and sodium, which can raise your risk of heart disease and high blood pressure if consumed in excess. Therefore, it is advisable to enjoy this dish in moderation and balance it with other healthy foods.
FAQs About Saltgrass Brussel Sprouts Recipe
What are the benefits of eating brussel sprouts?
Brussel sprouts are a type of cruciferous vegetable that belong to the same family as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and kale. They are low in calories but high in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can help prevent or treat various health conditions. Some of the benefits of eating brussel sprouts are:
- They can boost your immune system and protect your cells from damage by providing a large amount of vitamin C, which is essential for collagen synthesis and wound healing.
- They can support your bone health and blood clotting by supplying a significant amount of vitamin K, which is involved in calcium metabolism and coagulation factors.
- They can lower your cholesterol levels and improve your digestion by containing a good amount of soluble and insoluble fiber, which can bind to bile acids and promote regular bowel movements.
- They can reduce inflammation and oxidative stress by containing various phytochemicals, such as glucosinolates, flavonoids, and phenolic acids, which have anti-inflammatory andanti-cancer properties.
- They can regulate your blood sugar levels and prevent diabetes by containing a moderate amount of complex carbohydrates, which can slow down the absorption of glucose and prevent spikes and crashes.
- They can enhance your brain function and mood by containing some B vitamins, such as folate, thiamine, and niacin, which are involved in neurotransmitter synthesis and nerve signaling.
How to store and reheat saltgrass brussel sprouts?
If you have any leftovers of saltgrass brussel sprouts, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat them, you can either microwave them for a few minutes or bake them in the oven at 375°F for 10 to 15 minutes, until heated through and crisp.
How to make saltgrass brussel sprouts vegan or vegetarian?
If you want to make saltgrass brussel sprouts vegan or vegetarian, you can simply omit the bacon or replace it with a plant-based alternative, such as tempeh bacon, tofu bacon, or coconut bacon. You can also use vegetable oil instead of bacon fat to cook the onion. The rest of the ingredients and steps are the same.
How to make saltgrass brussel sprouts keto or low-carb?
If you want to make saltgrass brussel sprouts keto or low-carb, you can reduce the amount of brussel sprouts and increase the amount of bacon and onion. You can also add some cheese, such as parmesan, cheddar, or mozzarella, to increase the fat and protein content. The rest of the ingredients and steps are the same.
How to make saltgrass brussel sprouts spicy or sweet?
If you want to make saltgrass brussel sprouts spicy or sweet, you can add some seasonings or sauces to suit your taste. For example, you can add some red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, sriracha, or hot sauce to make them spicy. Or you can add some maple syrup, honey, brown sugar, or balsamic vinegar to make them sweet. You can also mix and match different flavors to create your own version.
What are some other variations of saltgrass brussel sprouts?
If you want to try some other variations of saltgrass brussel sprouts, you can experiment with different ingredients and combinations. For example, you can use different types of meat, such as ham, turkey, sausage, or chicken. Or you can use different types of vegetables, such as carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, or zucchini. You can also add some nuts, seeds, dried fruits, or herbs for extra crunch and flavor.
What are some dishes that go well with saltgrass brussel sprouts?
Saltgrass brussel sprouts are a versatile side dish that can go well with many dishes. Some of the dishes that go well with saltgrass brussel sprouts are:
- Steak: Saltgrass brussel sprouts are a classic accompaniment to steak, as they add a smoky and savory contrast to the juicy and tender meat.
- Chicken: Saltgrass brussel sprouts are a great complement to chicken, as they add a crunchy and flavorful texture to the moist and tender poultry.
- Fish: Saltgrass brussel sprouts are a delicious pairing with fish, as they add a hearty and satisfying balance to the light and flaky seafood.
- Pasta: Saltgrass brussel sprouts are a wonderful addition to pasta, as they add a nutty and earthy dimension to the creamy and cheesy noodles.
- Rice: Saltgrass brussel sprouts are a nice side dish for rice, as they add a colorful and nutritious boost to the plain and starchy grains.
How to grow your own brussel sprouts?
If you want to grow your own brussel sprouts, you’ll need some seeds, soil, pots, water, fertilizer, and sunlight. Here are the basic steps to grow your own brussel sprouts:
- Sow the seeds in pots filled with moist potting soil about 1/4 inch deep. Place them in a sunny spot indoors or outdoors and keep them watered regularly.
- Transplant the seedlings into larger pots or garden beds when they have 4 to 6 leaves. Space them about 18 inches apart and apply some organic fertilizer every 2 weeks.
- Harvest the brussel sprouts when they are firm and green, starting from the bottom of the stem and working your way up. You can harvest them anytime from late summer to early winter, depending on the variety and climate.
How to clean and cut brussel sprouts?
To clean and cut brussel sprouts, you’ll need a colander, a cutting board, a sharp knife, and a trash bin. Here are the basic steps to clean and cut brussel sprouts:
- Rinse the brussel sprouts under cold running water and drain them in a colander. Remove any dirt or debris that may be stuck on them.
- Trim off the stem end of each brussel sprout with a knife and discard it. Peel off any loose or discolored outer leaves and toss them in the trash bin.
- Cut each brussel sprout in half lengthwise with a knife. If they are large, you can cut them into quarters or smaller pieces. If they are small, you can leave them whole.
How to cook brussel sprouts in different ways?
There are many ways to cook brussel sprouts, such as roasting, sautéing, boiling, steaming, frying, or grilling. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, depending on your preference and convenience. Here are some of the most common ways to cook brussel sprouts:
- Roasting: Roasting is one of the easiest and most popular ways to cook brussel sprouts, as it brings out their natural sweetness and crispiness. To roast brussel sprouts, you’ll need an oven, a baking sheet, some oil, salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you like. Preheat the oven to 400°F and toss the brussel sprouts with oil, salt, pepper, and seasonings in a large bowl. Spread them on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 25 to 35 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden and tender.
- Sautéing: Sautéing is another simple and quick way to cook brussel sprouts, as it adds some browning and flavor to them. To sauté brussel sprouts, you’ll need a stove, a large skillet or wok, some oil or butter, salt, pepper, and any other ingredients you like. Heat some oil or butter in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat and add the brussel sprouts, salt, pepper, and other ingredients. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp and tender.
- Boiling: Boiling is one of the fastest and easiest ways to cook brussel sprouts, as it softens them quickly and evenly. To boil brussel sprouts, you’ll need a stove, a large pot of water, some salt, and a colander. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat and add some salt. Add the brussel sprouts and boil for 8 to 10 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain them in a colander and serve hot or cold.
- Steaming: Steaming is one of the healthiest ways to cook brussel sprouts
I hope you enjoyed this article on how to make saltgrass brussel sprouts recipe at home. You’ve learned the ingredients, equipment, steps, nutrition facts, FAQs, and variations of this delicious and easy dish. You’ve also learned some benefits of eating brussel sprouts, how to store and reheat them, how to grow your own, how to clean and cut them, and how to cook them in different ways.
Thank you for reading this article on how to make saltgrass brussel sprouts recipe at home. If you liked this article, please share it with your friends and family. You can also check out our other articles on various topics, such as cooking, gardening, health, and more. We’re always happy to hear from you and answer your questions. Have a great day and happy cooking!